top of page

File a complaint

Filing a complaint is a citizen action that must be valued: a right really exists when it is recognized.


The CAAP Côte-Nord professional team can help you. The health and social services network may seem “complex” and “untouchable”; rest assured, with our support you will see more clearly!

Conversation amicale

Who can file a complaint?

  • A user of the services or a resident of a PSR;

  • A legal representative of a user or a resident;

  • An heir or legal representative of a deceased user or resident.

Femme d'affaires senior

Why file a complaint?

"But what's the point of filing a complaint? "


The CAAP team often hears this question!

There are several reasons that can motivate you to take action:

  • Ensure that your rights and dignity are respected;

  • Help correct a situation so that it does not happen again;

  • Help improve the quality of services for everyone.

Many people feel helpless in the face of the vast network of health and social services. It is normal to be afraid of being judged or facing reprisals. We are here to reassure you.

Remember that “saying things is the power to change them! "


Remember, you can ask the CAAP for help at any time in order to be assisted in your efforts to respect your rights.


Everyone wins!


Are you familiar with the Complaints Examination System? It is a quick and free way to correct situations, to prevent errors from recurring, to understand what has happened or sometimes even to force professional orders to remind their members of good practices. You should know that the regime does not operate from a "punitive" perspective, but "corrective".


Of course, nothing prevents you from proceeding to a legal recourse, but the CAAP does not intervene in such recourse; you will then need to hire a lawyer.

Qui et pourquoi porter plainte

You believe you have been treated improperly

You are dissatisfied with the services received or that you should have received

You don't want your situation to happen again

Your user / resident rights have been violated by a member or body of the health and social services network

It is possible to file a complaint when ...

If your complaint concerns the following services ...

As a first resort, it is the service quality and complaints commissioner who will receive him.

If you are dissatisfied with the conclusions of your process, there is a second recourse: the Québec Ombudsman. The CAAP can also assist you in this instance.

  • Hospital care (CH)

  • Long-term care accommodation (CHSLD)

  • Home Care

  • Community services (CLSC)

  • Addiction rehabilitation

  • Rehabilitation for physical and intellectual disabilities and pervasive developmental disorders

  • Mental health

  • An intermediate or family-type resource

  • A youth center

  • A community organization

  • An ambulance service

  • A private seniors' residence (PSR)

  • Any person or organization that has a service agreement with the integrated health and social services center

In an establishment, if your complaint concerns ...

  • Doctor

  • A resident doctor

  • A dentist

  • A pharmacist

As a first resort, it is the medical examiner who will deal with your complaint.
In the event of a breach or fault requiring a disciplinary sanction, your complaint will be forwarded to the Councils of physicians, dentists and pharmacists of the establishment.
If you are dissatisfied with the conclusions of your process, there is a second recourse: the review committee. The CAAP can also assist you in this instance.
Mes droits

What are your rights?

To enforce them, you have to know them!


If you believe that there has been a breach or fault in relation to your rights, contact us! We will guide you on the procedures to follow and we will accompany you throughout them.

According to the law on health and social services, YOU HAVE THE RIGHT*:

  • to be treated with courtesy, fairness and understanding, with respect for your dignity, your autonomy, your needs and your safety;

  • to be informed of the existence of the health and social services and resources available in your community as well as the terms and conditions of access to these services and resources;

  • to receive adequate health and social services from a scientific, human and social standpoint, with continuity and in a personalized and safe manner;

  • to choose the professional or the establishment from which you wish to receive health or social services;

  • to be informed about your state of health and well-being so as to know the different options available to you as well as the risks and consequences generally associated with each of these options, before consenting to treatment about you;

  • to give or refuse your consent to treatment, whether it be examinations, samples, treatment or any other intervention;

  • to receive the care that your condition requires;

  • to participate in any decision affecting your state of health or well-being;

  • to be accompanied and assisted by a person of your choice;

  • to be represented if you are a minor or an incapable adult;

  • to be accommodated according to what your state of health requires;

  • to receive health and social services in the English language if you speak English;

  • to exercise recourse against an establishment, its administrators or its employees or a professional because of professional or other misconduct;

  • to have access to your file and to its confidentiality;

  • to receive end-of-life care.

* Taking into account the legislative and regulatory provisions relating to the organization and operation as well as the human, material and financial resources available to the establishment.

For private seniors' residences, there are other criteria and certification standards to be met.

Learn more

As a user, you must, as much as possible, participate in the care and services that concern you and use the services wisely.

* Taken from the Act respecting health and social services, LQR, chapter S-4.2, October 30, 2012, p. 2 to 6

The reasons to file
a complaint

Here are some concrete examples for which you can file a complaint concerning health and social services:

  • Problems affecting the accessibility and continuity of services

  • Problems related to "scientific" aspects and the quality of care and services provided

  • Relational problem

  • Problem affecting material resources

  • Financial aspect


Other laws are significant for those involved in the Complaints Examination System, such as the Act respecting pre-hospital emergency services, the Civil Code, the Youth Protection Act, the Act on the protection of persons whose mental state presents dangers to themselves or to others.

Comment porter plainte

How to file a complaint?

Our advisers have the expertise to support you every step of the way.

Join us at

1 877 767 2227

or fill out the form.


We will contact you as quickly as possible to assist and support you during this process.

Fields marked with an asterisk are required. Rest assured that all your information will be kept confidential.

Thank you !

bottom of page